The day did not treat me well. Some bugs from a part of a project that has been dogging me for some time came back and they were not easy ones to fix. What made it worse is that I had to debug in Firefox. Ever since a change to the data services for the project were made, I haven't been able to test in Chrome. Everyone else's Chrome works, but not mine. Firefox is a pain to debug in, because it only lets you pause the application for a short period of time before it decides Flash has crashed and it shuts it down. It's also a pain because Firefox will occasionally freeze up and not let you switch to other programs that are behind it. Normally that's not an issue because at work I have two monitors. Not so at home.
Today, Firefox was being very aggressive and being an utter jerk about debugging. It kept freezing and was quicker than normal to prematurely end my debugging sessions. Combine that with some difficult bugs, and I was ready to explode. Unable to take any more, I thought I would try to see if I could get Chrome to work again.
I figured the best way to do this would be to reinstall Chrome. I exported my bookmarks and then uninstalled Chrome. I then went to reinstall Chrome. That went all right. I noticed though, that for some weird reason, Internet Explorer had opened up. I figured that was a byproduct of uninstalling Chrome and closed it. I then went to import my bookmarks. And that's when I discovered the disaster: My bookmarks were gone.
That may sound trivial, but my Chrome bookmarks are extensive. I have work bookmarks that quickly take me to resources for different projects. I have bookmarks for hard-to-find resources that required extensive Googling to find. I have bookmarks for blogs and webcomics that occupy me while compiling or during lunch. I have resources for my personal projects that I was saving to use in presentations. So ... many ... bookmarks ... gone.
This was overwhelming in my already dangerously frustrated state. Then I tried to install the Flash debug player in Chrome. It's a version of the Flash player that is necessary for debugging Flash applications. That makes it necessary for me to work. And it wouldn't install. I tried disabling Chrome's built in player. I tried restarting Chrome. I tried restarting my computer. Nothing worked. Not only could I no longer debug this project in Chrome, I couldn't debug in Chrome at all. Defeated and enraged, I went back to Firefox and struggled for the rest of the day, working much later than normal.
Now, having finally vanquished the bugs, I went back to see what I could salvage from Chrome. I tried installing the debug player a few more times, then finally restarted my computer again. Suddenly, magically, it worked, for no apparent reason. I had the debug player again! Of course, I had to try compiling my work project to see if my loss of my encyclopedic collection of bookmarks was all for naught. Yep. It was. The same problem still persists. It's Firefox from here on out.
What a disaster.